Friday, May 25, 2012

Hola a los Estados Unidos!

We are here in Hostel Bekuo in downtown San Jose.  Our first day was a whirlwind, starting with pancakes, and a meeting with the STINT (Short term International) team that is staying here in San Jose.  They gave us some basic info for our time on campus and around town, and welcomed us and encouraged us in our commission.  We got to meet Carlos, the director of Cruzada Estudiantil over all Central America.  The Stinters are wonderful people, and I can´t wait to get to know them better, and get some of their street sense!

Our team did a photo scavenger hunt around campus to get acquainted with the people and landmarks, and we could only ask students for directions.  It was challenging being immersed, but rewarding!  Speaking began to feel a teeeeeeny bit natural by the end of the day.  Plus I got to meet Sergio and David, two education majors from UCR.  David and I are about equal in our knowledge of the other´s language, and we hit it off well.  Nothing breeds friendship like sharing an umbrella with another guy for 2 hours!

For our evening entertainment, we joined the STINT team at the National Stadium for a futbol match between Costa Rica and Guatemala!  It was the first home game for the CR national team in several months, so the fans were excited, and I had no choice but to join them!  We had to leave a few minutes before the end of the game, but we were up 3-2 with 10 minutes to go.  I missed a goal because I was watching a cool moth in the stadium lights.  I have a long ways to go as a soccer fan.

The streets are interesting at night, and I don´t really like them haha.  I don´t reckon I´ll be out much after 8.30.  I think my first adjustment to the culture will be in this area.  I have taken the security of Montana for granted!

I love you all!  

Luke 10:19-20

p.s. When Paul says to greet the brethren with a holy kiss, they actually do that here.

No comments:

Post a Comment